question about pr_info (newbie)

Larry Martin Larry at GlueLogix.com
Tue Dec 30 09:04:59 EST 2014

> I would appreciate if somebody can be more specific, how this can be
> done. I am using the defaults for syslog, which came with Fedora 21
> x86_64.

Kevin, I understand your frustration.  I think I used the wrong term.
It's not a "log level" thing, but a "dynamic debug" thing.  Dynamic
Debug lets you turn on your specific message without seeing all other
messages of the same "level."  But that means you may have to explicitly
turn it off.

See:

google://pr_info
http://lwn.net/Articles/487437/
https://lwn.net/Articles/434833/

 From the last link:
> Turning on dynamic debug causes a new virtual file to appear at
> /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control (modulo any individual
> preferences for the location of debugfs, naturally). Writing to that
> file will enable or disable specific debugging functions, as
> specified by a simple but flexible language.

> echo file tpm_nsc.c function init_nsc +p > .../dynamic_debug/control

So your incantation would be something like:

echo file myfile.c function init_me -p > mypath/dynamic_debug/control

LWN has a dynamic debug howto.  I assume it's in kernel docs too.

--
Larry Martin
www.GlueLogix.com