framebuffer driver

Sudip Mukherjee sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:08:52 EST 2014

Hi,
I have started with a pci based vga card. after booting i can see the
card in lspci , and after loading the driver as a module i can see
that the driver is linked with the device using lspci -k.

for initial testing, i am using the ioctl command FBIOPUT_CON2FBMAP ,
which is supposed to map a console to a particular framebuffer. But on
switching to that console I am not getting anything in the monitor. To
test if ioctl is getting executed, i inserted some debugging messages
as pr_err() in that particular case of the ioctl function in
drivers/video/fbdev/core/fbmem.c , but after calling the ioctl again i
am not getting those debug messages in dmesg.
Now i am in doubt about what is happening.. if ioctl is executed then
my debug messages should have been printed.

Can anyone please give me some hints about how to test this new vga
card... and also why the debug messages from ioctl is not getting
printed ..

i think its almost a similar thing as https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/2/288

thanks
sudip