Problem in Getting Mainline Kernel

Freeman Zhang freeman.zhang1992 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:21:58 EST 2014

Hi list,

I cloned it for nearly 30 hours due to the poor connection :( How I wish
the cloning process is resumable.

Finally I cloned the mainline kernel from
"git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git".
However, when I'm looking at the git directory, I got nothing but:

	.   ..	arch  .DS_Store  .git  .gitignore  .mailmap

I'm confused. I thought it would be like this:

	arch           include      mm               security
	block          init         modules.builtin  sound
	COPYING        ipc          modules.order    System.map
	CREDITS        Kbuild       Module.symvers   tools
	crypto         Kconfig      net              usr
	Documentation  kernel       README           virt
	drivers        lib          REPORTING-BUGS   vmlinux
	firmware       MAINTAINERS  samples          vmlinux.o
	fs             Makefile     scripts

Is my clone broken? I ran `git pull` and it said the clone is
up-to-date. And the size of .git directory is over 1 GB.

Now I'm using `tar.xz` from kernel.org and it works just fine. But I
still want to know what I should do with my git clone.

All the best!

Freeman Zhang