Huge difference in build sizes

Raghavendra arrao at cdac.in
Wed Dec 3 01:05:58 EST 2014

On Wednesday 03 December 2014 09:45 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 09:26:34AM +0530, Raghavendra wrote:
>> Hello Greg,
>>
>> Thank you for the reply.

>>> You have not "stripped" the debug symbols from the kernel you built,
>>> which is what Ubuntu does as part of their build process.  I suggest
>>> turning off that kernel configuration option, as it's probably not
>>> needed for your development.
>> If you are referring to the option "CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO", then it is said to
>> 'y' in both the kernel's configuration files.
>> Is there any other config. option or compiler flags that I need to look for?
> That's a good one to turn off, start with that and see what happens.

Yeah, I turned off the config option and compared the sizes. Now, both
result in the same build size. Thanks for the suggestion Greg. Still, my
concern is that the distro's build is generating a small build size in
spite of having the option 'CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO' set to 'y'. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Raghavendra

[ C-DAC is on Social-Media too. Kindly follow us at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDACINDIA & Twitter: @cdacindia ]