The limit of kernel memory in 64bit system

Christoph Lameter cl at linux.com
Mon Dec 1 13:35:33 EST 2014

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014, nick wrote:

> Sorry Yiqun,
> I was thinking of virtual memory so you are correct. I also haven't looked into
> the kernel memory subsystem(s) in a while so I may be a little behind in my knownledge
> of them.
2^1
The amount of memory that can be handled by a processor is available via
/proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 60
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x16
cpu MHz         : 3400.132
cache size      : 8192 KB
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64

so this processor support a physical memory space of 2^39 = 512GB and a
virtual address space of 256 TB.

A 64 bit kernel can support what the processor supports.