KGPU : any scope?

Raghavendra arrao at cdac.in
Mon Dec 1 02:55:57 EST 2014

Hello all,

I was going through the concept of KGPU, which is a GPU computing
framework for the Linux Kernel. I've read the white paper on it(can be
found at http://www.cs.utah.edu/~wbsun/kgpu.pdf) and I am very much
interested in this project, but what could be the scope of
this(although, the paper mentions a few application areas like crypto,
networking, fs, etc)? Does the kernel really require GPU's assistance?
What is the scope of building kernel frameworks around it?

Also the current framework is build using CUDA. I want to re-implement
the same using OpenCL as it is supported by most of the GPUs. As per my
perspective, I see a huge learning opportunity here. But, practically
how fas is it useful?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Raghavendra.

[ C-DAC is on Social-Media too. Kindly follow us at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDACINDIA & Twitter: @cdacindia ]