Kernel Projects

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 19:15:28 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Julio Faracco <jcfaracco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a program to offer small (or big) kernel
> projects to students or someone who are interested in?
>
> I'm looking for programs like Google Summer of Code or
> http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelProjects
>
> I'm interested to contribute with kernel patches, but I don't know how and
> where to start it.
>
> I will be glad if someone give me ideas and/or suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Julio Cesar Faracco
> University of São Paulo - Brazil

The challenge is probably a great learning experience, but I assume
everyone is doing the same work?

If so, Greg KH has said that code clean-ups to the staging directory
are always accepted.

Just download the kernel source, cd into the staging directory and
start running checkpatch.pl against the various files.  When you find
issues, clean them up and submit a patch.

Greg KH walks through the process here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

Greg (not KH)