System load notification

Jimmy Thrasibule jimmy.thrasibule at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:37:57 EDT 2014

Hi,

Let's say I have a resource intensive process that I would like to be
ran only when the system is doing nothing and since another process is
starting to drain resources from the system, stop the first one.

So I wonder if we can ask the kernel to send a signal to reproduce
this behavior? The way I see it is to write a daemon subscribing to
receive a signal when the system is idle (or low on load) for a
certain amount of time, and to receive another signal when the system
starts to be high loaded. Of course the load produced by the process
itself should be excluded.

Any idea?

--
Jimmy