checkpatch.pl comment style warnings

Greg Donald gdonald at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:49:10 EDT 2014

When I run checkpatch.pl -f, it complains about comment blocks like

/*
 * foo
 * bar
 */

with "networking block comments don't use an empty /* line, use /* Comment..."

But I found this: http://fr.it-usenet.org/thread/18772/41342/, which
makes me think that particular checkpatch.pl warning should possibly
be ignored for code not in net or drivers/net.

1) Are there different preferred commenting styles for networking code
versus everything else?

2) Assuming the comment code above does need fixing, would an example
fix be as simple as this?

/* foo
 * bar
 */

3) What about the very similar comment blocks checkpatch.pl doesn't
currently complain about, do these need fixing too?

/**
 * foo
 * bar
 */