git fetch and git merge stable kernel

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Apr 2 11:53:26 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 03:02:01AM -0700, Anand Moon wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I have performed following operations listed below.
>
> amoon at moon-ubuntu:imx_3.05-udoo-back$ git remote add stable git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
>
> amoon at moon-ubuntu:imx_3.05-udoo-back$ git fetch stable v3.2.55
> warning: no common commits

That's the problem right there.  You aren't working on a tree that is
actually based on the Linux kernel upstream tree.  Merging into this
tree is going to be an impossible task, as you have found out :(

Please work with the company who gave you this tree to rebase it on top
of the community tree in order to resolve this issue.

good luck,

greg k-h