Tracing Association code

Prabhunath G gprabhunath at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 21:40:59 EDT 2013

Hi All,

         I am tracing the association code in linux-wireless. I
understand that association request has to be triggered from station
side (userspace-wpa_supplicant) and has to be sent to the AP
(userspace-hostapd).

In the process of tracing, I found the function ieee80211_assoc(...)
in net/mac80211/cfg.c and also I found that a timer is scheduled to
execute the timer function. My Questions are

1. Who is initiating the timer function, my guess is it should be the
driver & How ?
2. On the AP side how is the association request taken from driver  ->
mac80211 -> hostapd.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Prabhu