working of migrate_page (exported) function in mm/migrate.c linux Kernel

ajay saini ajay_saini1006 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Sep 22 23:21:46 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have read some of these uses (of migrate_page) from linux kernel source code and tried to use this function in my kernel module.
But it somehow hangs my module.

Linux version : 2.6 and system has 4 NUMA nodes (0-3) and has 16 cores in total.

I have done following: ( I already have a pointer to old page as pg )  [ this code is somewhat taken from usage of "migrate_page" in mm/migrate.c file ]
struct page *new_page = alloc_pages_exact_node(2,GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE | GFP_THISNODE, 0);
if ( new_page != NULL )
{
    if ( trylock_page(new_page) )
    {
          new_page->index   = pg->index;
          new_page->mapping = pg->mapping;
          struct address_space *mapping = pg->mapping;
          migrate_page(mapping, new_page, pg);
          unlock_page(new_page);
    }
}
- I have checked without locking also, but it does not work

- I check the existence of both pages and on what NUMA node they are assigned and it gives me correct information. It is only when I make a call to  migrate_page does the code hangs.

Any ideas?

Ajay