Dcache_lock replacement

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 2 18:10:20 EDT 2013

> Since lot of things have changed from 2.6.18 to 3.8 and I have taken a lot
> of care to replace the old kernel APIs with the newer ones but then too
> there have been certain things I haven't been able to replace and
> dcache_lock is one of them.
>
> Due to the absence of dcache_lock, I have not been able to properly lock
> stuff and writing/reading data that are being changed that maybe one of the
> reasons for instability.

There's nothing stopping your driver from adding its own locking to
protect itself from itself.  If the problem is that you used to use
dcache_lock to protect your critical variables from other parts of the
kernel, you'll need to restructure your code to avoid the issue, or find
other suitable locking.

Can you explain the code paths that are causing an issue with dcache_lock gone?