need advice on howto access memory from fpga and cpu

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 30 12:30:12 EDT 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:17:44 +0100, Kai said:

> One more question: Currently I'm using the book Linux Device Drivers 3rd
> Edition (2005) as a reference, and it's discussing Kernel 2.6.10. Do you
> think that's still okay, or should I get/buy a more recent book on this
> topic, and which would you recommend?

The concepts are all valid (when you need locking, stuff like that), but
many of the APIs have been changed. Fortunately, it's kernel policy that
when an API is changed, we change not only the semantics, but also the
signature of the function (name, number of parameters, etc), so old code
will throw a compile error rather than mysteriously bomb at runtime.