What to do with branches after submitting patches?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 08:10:37 EDT 2013

Matthias Beyer <mail at beyermatthias.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just got into kernel development and currently doing some patching
>of the usb divers for coding style adaptions and so on.

Has Greg KH said he will accept these?  Minor coding style patches are often not wanted since they break other peoples patches.

The best method is to have a patchset that cleans the coding style of a driver then has at least one true fix/improvement.

>My current workflow is:
>
>- get latest torvalds master
>- merge local master with fast forward to torvalds/master
>- create new branch, say "usb-core-foobar-cleanup"
>- patch the stuff, write commits
>- git format-patch master...usb-core-foobar-cleanup
>- git send-email ...
>
>So what to do with the branches now? I think I should keep them until
>the patches are merged, okay. And then? delete them? I mean, I'm still
>the author of the patches, and they will be included in history some
>time (as soon as the next release comes out they will be in
>torvalds/master).
>
>I just submitted my second patch series to the lkml

Many subsystems like usb have their own mailinglist.  An email to lkml will likely be ignored by the maintainer you care about.  Each discrete patch needs to go to the right mailinglist if you want it to be accepted.

Try to keep your patchsets to one subsystem at a time.

>, and now I have to
>remember which patch series was the result of which branch... if I
>submit one or two more patch series, I have to remember the relations
>between patch series and branches until they are merged, yeah?
>
>Or is there something wrong in my workflow?
>
>Is it possible to use a github repository and just send a "please pull
>from git at github.com...." message to the kernel mailinglist, or will I
>be beaten for this?

If you have a large patchset that needs testing, then ALSO providing a simple way for testers to pull your patchset is a great thing, but the review will take place the normal way.  So in your 0/xx email can say how to pull your patchset for testing.

Greg (not KG)