file system sector size?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 9 18:21:36 EDT 2013

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:25:29 -0700, Guangyu Sun said:

> As far as I know sector size comes with the storage device and cannot be
> changed, while block size is set by file system.

On some high-end RAID-based storage devices, the effective sector size is
basically the raid stripe size and selectable (for the DDN SFA10K you get a
choice of 128K, 256K, or 1M chunks on a per-LUN basis, and writing anything
smaller requires a read-modify-write cycle).

But this is the sort of stuff that the vast majority of Linux users won't
ever encounter, because you'll probably never have a petabyte-sized filesystem.

(Protip:  mmfsck of a 700T GPFS filesystem with 220M files takes about 32 hours.
Don't ask how I found this out. :)