How to contribute to latest -rc kernel?

Arvid Brodin arvid.brodin at alten.se
Wed Nov 27 11:26:17 EST 2013

On 2013-11-27 02:20, Fan Du wrote:

> On 2013年11月26日 05:17, Arvid Brodin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How would I go ahead to send a patch for the latest -rc kernel?
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> * What tree to diff against? (Linus'?)
>> * To which list do I send the patch?
>>
>> Background: I've contributed a new network driver that is now in 3.13-rc1. I
>> would like to fix it so that it behaves better with iproute. Strictly speaking
>> this isn't a bug fix, but the driver is going to be quite useless without
>> iproute support, and that won't be there until this fix is in the kernel.
>
> Almost every subsystem has its own next git tree, since it's a networking driver
> issue, please verify your fix against net-next:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/
>
> And send the patch to netdev maillist:
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#netdev
>
> You need also CC the driver maintainer by looking at linux_source_code/MAINTAINERS,
> or using ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl.

Actually, part of the patch series is adding myself as the maintainer for the
driver. :)

I thought the subsystem -next trees was for the next release of Linux? I.e., what
goes into the net-next tree now will find its way into mainline at the next
release window, for linux-3.14-rc1?

I'm not sure though. It's a bit confusing. Aldo Iljazi said this:
>  Arvid Brodin wrote:
>
>> * What tree to diff against? (Linus'?)
>
> I believe that you need to diff against linux-next tree: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/log/?id=refs/tags/next-20131126
>
>> * To which list do I send the patch?
>
> Well you can send it to the Linux Kernel Mailing List.
> -- Aldo Iljazi

Which seems reasonable to me. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

--
Arvid Brodin | Consultant (Linux)
ALTEN | Knarrarnäsgatan 7 | SE-164 40 Kista | Sweden