hi Why is "can't find a register in class

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon May 27 10:17:43 EDT 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013 15:51:26 +0800, lx said:

> When I make it, the error messages is:
> *namei.c:35: error: can't find a register in class

> *This is why? *

Possibility 1:  You screwed up the constrains on your asm and didn't leave
the compiler any way to allocate CPU registers.. I havent had enough caffeine
yet to check that in detail, you're on your own. ;)

Possibility 2: Your compiler has a bug in it,. Such thinks happen.  If you're
using something older than gcc 4.8, either update it or get your vendor to
update it, and then try again.

If you're using 4.8 and your asm constraints have been verified as OK, please
consider filing a gcc bug with your vendor and/or with the GCC team.

(I had to keep a copy of gcc 4.6.3 around for a *long* time, because 4.7
would miscompile the NVidia module - I suspect the famous bug where it split
a 64-bit operation that needed to be atomic.  Then gcc developed another
bug where the optimizer choked on one of the VirtualBox modules.  Fedora
finally shipped a patched 4.8 that didn't have either bug)