Major number for multipath block devices

Kumar amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Mon May 6 20:23:14 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 08:09:03PM -0400, Kumar amit mehta wrote:
> If I have one logical volume(Talking in LVM terms)and have two paths to the
> same logical volume, then it seems that the two logical volumes will have the
> same major number(refer [1]).

My apologies for typo mistake above. I meant, If I have one logical
volume(Talking in LVM terms)and have two paths to the same logical
volume, then it seems that, there will be "two" entries under /dev
(as we have two paths to the same logical volume) and both these
block devices (say, /dev/sdk1, /dev/sdk2) have the same major number,
and different minor numbers.