initramfs.cpio

ishare june.tune.sea at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 23:50:32 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:28:53PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:27:27 +0800, ishare said:
> >
> >  Hi :
> >     I find that my initramfs_data.cpio generated by gcc does not contain init
>  files ,which should be
> >     executed by terminal initialization.
> >
> >     My initramfs_data.cpio only contains these :  /dev  /dev/consol  /root .
> >
> >     where to search the init file?
>
> You want to use mkinitramfs or mkinird or dracut or whatever your distro calls
> it to create one.  gcc has no *clue* what needs to go in the initramfs (for
> example, if your root file system is on a LVM partition on a LUKS-encrypted
> disk, the initramfs has to do a 'cryptsetup openLuks' and then an 'lvm varyon'
> before the mount will succeed).  Plus any modprobes that may or may not be
> needed, etc etc etc.

  Thanks for reply!

  Under the 2.6.0 kernel source tree , there is a folder named 'usr' , there are makefile
  and related files in it to make out a initramfs_data.cpio , when  making  kernel , this
  initramfs_data.cpio will be made out together , then it will be placed into kernel from
  __initramfs_start  to  __initramfs_end . and the data in this space will be write into
  /initrd.image .

  As I know , at the end of init , a init file  will be executed , it should either be
  /sbin/init or /etc/int , etc.

  I want to ask a NewBie question :   is this init file located in  /initrd.image  or boot disk ?