BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request EIP is at kmem_cache_alloc when testing a new bluetooth driver

Ahmed Abdelfattah ahmed.abdelfattah.elshemisy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:25:07 EDT 2013

Hello ,
I am writing a kernel module to abstract a Bluetooth USB dongle as a
character device (using btusb as a base for my work) so that the user
space bluetooth stacks (like the new broadcom stack released in
Android 4.2) can communicate with the Bluetooth USB device.
 I tested the driver by a writing simple HCI reset command and
monitoring the HCI event my driver works OK for a short time but then
the kernel randomly panics after undetermined number of loops writing
reset and reading an event .
The EIP is always at kmem_cache_alloc but with different stack traces.
my guess is that I am somehow corrupting the memory but I can't really
determine how to debug because the kernel doesn't break in my code but
as I mentioned before I get usually a different stack trace.

Here is is an example
pastebin.com/9jhUuaDn

and another log
pastebin.com/Ftzju4BZ

Any idea what can cause this panic or how to debug it ?

--
regards ,
Ahmed Abdelfattah