pthread_lock

Prabhu nath gprabhunath at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 08:48:02 EDT 2013

I guess we should not mix mutex and condition variable. Both have their own
respective semantics.
*mutex* is used to serialize access to a shared resource among competing
threads.
*condition variable* is used to notify a* state change* of a resource to
the interested thread.

In case of condition variable there is provision to explicitly notify a
single thread(pthread_cond_signal) or all the threads waiting on a
condition (or a state change) (pthread_cond_broadcast)

Question was on pthread_mutex_unlock() that whether this function
invocation will trigger the movement of all the threads in the wait queue
to the ready queue.
If all the threads are of equal priority, then the first thread waiting for
the lock will be put to READY queue.
If there are variable priority threads waiting for the lock, then the
thread with highest priority would be woken up

Regards,
Prabhunath G
Linux Trainer
Bangalore