Will kernel in-place decompression overwrite uncompressed part ?

leo kirotawa kirotawa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:12:26 EST 2013

I don't know if it can help you, but let's try. [1]
What I understand about that is. The compressed kernel is in fact a bzImage
or some zImage kernel, and it is a file. As the link says in that
compressed file we have this header that makes some early configurations.
The kernel is uncompressed into the memory and the compressed kernel
remains in the place it was before. Just what matter by the compressed
kernel is that header info that it use to setup the stack to the new kernel.

I'm no sure if I'm talking some nosense, but that was what I saw in kernel
boot files. Maybe some others mate here can complement or fix my thoughts
here.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-linuxboot/

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Jacky <jackyclivia at 163.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Before, kernel first decompressed to other memory location and then merged
> and put at final destination. Now, kernel decompression  are decompressed
> in-place, so-called in-place decompression.
>
> But the compressed part is encompassed by uncompressed part. So, after
> decompression, will the uncompressed part be overwritten by the
> decompressed kernel ? If so, some uncompressed part such as deal with
> kernel relocation will be overwritten by the decompressed kernel, which
> don't make sense, am I missed something ?
>
> Regards,
> Jacky

Leônidas S. Barbosa (Kirotawa)

Engenheiro de Software - IBM (LTC - Linux Technology Center)
MsC Sistemas e Computação
Bacharel em Ciências da Computação.

blog nerd: corecode.wordpress.com/

<http://corecode.wordpress.com/>User linux : #480879

"Mais sábio é aquele que sabe que não sabe" (Sócrates)
"smile and wave" - =D + o/ (Penguins of Madagascar)

日本語の学生です。
コンピュータサイエンスの学位.