pthread_lock

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 5 01:02:51 EST 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 11:02:45 +0530, Mandeep Sandhu said:

> next schedule. I think the waiting threads (processes) will moved from
> the wait queue to the run queue from where they will be scheduled to
> run.

For bonus points, read source code and/or comments and figure out what
Linux does to prevent the 'thundering herd' problem (consider 100 threads
all waiting on the same mutex - if you blindly wake all 100 up, you'll schedule
them all, the first will find the mutex available and then re-take it, and
then the next 99 will get run only to find it contended and go back to
sleep.  So figure out what Linux does in that case. :)