some questions/oddities regarding "exclusive" wait queues

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jun 22 03:32:35 EDT 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:54:04 -0400, "Robert P. J. Day" said:
>
> >  * The core wakeup function. Non-exclusive wakeups (nr_exclusive == 0) just
> >  * wake everything up. If it's an exclusive wakeup (nr_exclusive == small +ve
> >  * number) then we wake all the non-exclusive tasks and one exclusive task.
>
> Right.  Clear as mud. ;)

   i already submitted a small patch to correct the above but i think
maybe i should have been more extensive.

> >         list_for_each_entry_safe(curr, next, &q->task_list, task_list) {
> >                 unsigned flags = curr->flags;
> >
> >                 if (curr->func(curr, mode, wake_flags, key) &&
> >                                 (flags & WQ_FLAG_EXCLUSIVE) && !--nr_exclusive)
> >                         break;
> >         }
>
> Oh, gotta love this tricky C. When do we actually hit the 'break;'? :)

  as you did, i mentally worked through it and, as you did, seemed to
clarify that it *will* process "nr_exclusive" so-called exclusive
tasks before breaking. and that's based on what i wrote earlier --
that "exclusive" tasks are specifically added at the *end* of the wait
queue list for this code to work properly.

> >   first, the comment above that function seems wrong -- that
> > routine will not simply wake "one exclusive task", it will wake
> > "int nr_exclusive" exclusive tasks, will it not?
>
> Hand-emulating with 'nr_exclusive == 3' indicates that in fact
> you're right. Does anybody actually call this with a value other
> than 1?

  well, the value zero is common as that means everyone is processed
but i realize you meant any non-zero value other than one. :-) and
that's a good question. how many places in the source tree call
__wake_up_common()?

$ grep -rw __wake_up_common *
kernel/sched/core.c:static void __wake_up_common(wait_queue_head_t *q, unsigned int mode,
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(q, mode, nr_exclusive, 0, key);
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(q, mode, nr, 0, NULL);
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(q, mode, 1, 0, key);
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(q, mode, nr_exclusive,wake_flags, key);
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(&x->wait, TASK_NORMAL, 1, 0, NULL);
kernel/sched/core.c:	__wake_up_common(&x->wait, TASK_NORMAL, 0, 0, NULL);
$

  so all the direct calls are in that one file, some of which are
hard-coded to 0 or 1, but it just gets messy to try to figure out who
calls *those* routines.  and here's one example:

=====
/**
 * __wake_up_sync_key - wake up threads blocked on a waitqueue.
 * @q: the waitqueue
 * @mode: which threads
 * @nr_exclusive: how many wake-one or wake-many threads to wake up
 * @key: opaque value to be passed to wakeup targets
 *
 * The sync wakeup differs that the waker knows that it will schedule
 * away soon, so while the target thread will be woken up, it will not
 * be migrated to another CPU - ie. the two threads are 'synchronized'
 * with each other. This can prevent needless bouncing between CPUs.
 *
 * On UP it can prevent extra preemption.
 *
 * It may be assumed that this function implies a write memory barrier before
 * changing the task state if and only if any tasks are woken up.
 */
void __wake_up_sync_key(wait_queue_head_t *q, unsigned int mode,
                        int nr_exclusive, void *key)
{
        unsigned long flags;
        int wake_flags = WF_SYNC;

        if (unlikely(!q))
                return;

        if (unlikely(!nr_exclusive))
                wake_flags = 0;

        spin_lock_irqsave(&q->lock, flags);
        __wake_up_common(q, mode, nr_exclusive, wake_flags, key);
        spin_unlock_irqrestore(&q->lock, flags);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(__wake_up_sync_key);
=====

  so one would then track down all calls to __wake_up_sync_key to
check the value of nr_exclusive ... etc, etc. and note a couple other
things above.  first, the comment talks about "wake-one" versus
"wake-many" threads, a distinction i still don't understand.

  also note the "unlikeliness" of nr_exclusive being zero?  and an
initial check to make sure the wait_queue_head_t isn't NULL? i swear,
this code could probably be cleaned up a bit.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca