Android - logger driver Help(Not sure if this is the right place)

manty kuma mantykuma at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 03:34:55 EST 2013

Hi i want to know about event logs.. From
this<http://elinux.org/Android_Logging_System>source i understood that
event logs are in binary format. But how to read
them? I mean i have the logger_entry structure pointer located inside
memory. Using mmap, i am maping the pages to my address space and i am able
to read the values inside the structure.. A field called msg contains the
message of logcat and some other information as well. But for Event logs,
the data is written in the binary format. From
here<http://gitorious.org/android-eeepc/core/blobs/3e292b9716072cae37bff5b99c1d2660555a265e/logcat/event-log-tags>,
it is understood that the logs are somehow related to
/system/etc/event-log-tags... My simple question is what is the format of
the event log that is put inside the buffer?

*Background* : logger_entry is the structure that is used by logger driver
to maintain the buffer. Its field tell us from wher to start and what is
the size of the bugger, etc..

*Purpose* : i dont have android running on the system when i want to
collect the logs. I am trying to collect the logs on system crash. On
system crash a soft reboot occurs without resetting the ram, i am reading
the complete ram and organizing different sections.

Best Regards,

Sandeep