relocatable modules' symbols

horseriver horserivers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:56:08 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 04:00:37PM +0700, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM, horseriver <horserivers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi:
> >
> >   I have built vmlinux at the top dir of kernel source ,then I use objdump to look into
> >   its section information.I find the statup_32 which is the start routine of kernel ,
> >   locats at 0xc0100000. I know the 0x100000 is the defined address for locating
> >   protect-mode code .But which I can not understand is the 0xc prefix .where does it come from?
>
> If my guess is right, that's because kernel mode code start at
> 0xc000000 a.k.a a bit above 3 GiB on x86 32 bit machine

  I have find this answer .
  It is defined in lds script file .

here is the code :
  SECTIONS
  {
  . = 0xC0000000 + 0x100000;
  /* read-only */
  _text = .;		/* Text and read-only data */

  why use 0xC0000000 as its start ? why not  just  use 0x100000 only ?
  if use 0xC0000000,every linked symbole will be prefixed by 0xc , what is the purpose ?

thanks!