Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux distro

Ivan Nikolaev voidexp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:53:50 EST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux
distro
Date: 	Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:52:25 +0100
From: 	Ivan Nikolaev <voidexp at gmail.com>
To: 	Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com>

On Tue 19 Feb 2013 08:00:52 PM CET, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Ivan Nikolaev <voidexp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm developing an ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based embedded distribution, which
>> basically is a normal ubuntu stripped down to bare minimal packages,
>> which runs a minimal XOrg server with one single full-screen
>> application. What I want is to suppress every single char of console
>> output since the bootloader passed control to the kernel, and possibly
>> show instead of that some static text and/or image. What I thought is to
>> try to disable printk-s and to write some kind of patch which uses the
>> framebuffer to show the logo. Is that possible/difficult? Can you
>> eventually explain where I should dig?
>

> IIRC, isn't that what ubuntu 12.04 does during boot stage by default ?
> i mean, no boot message shown....

Yes, I guess Ubuntu version of GRUB is slightly modified, and it uses
Plymouth to provide that "nice" (and buggy on some machines) graphic
bootsplash. What I need is to avoid virtual consoles at all, also, I
need one static image visualized by framebuffer, which then smoothly
passes to my GUI app. Even more, being my app Qt based, I think about
throwing away the Xorg server and use Qt's support for framebuffer. So,
it will probably do a nice job. Hope I've explained what I need. For
example, on Android devices how this thing is done? You turn on the
device, and then the loading animation is displayed for a while.
Everything goes smooth, no glitches, and I suppose, there's no Plymouth
:)