Suppress all boot output (framebuffer?) - embedded linux distro

Ivan Nikolaev voidexp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:50:57 EST 2013

Hi everybody! I'm new to linux kernel development (very very little
experience), time ago have began studying Operating Systems, even
written a simple x86 2-stage bootloader for my supa-dupa-noob-os (which
never ended up in something working). Anyway, that was just to explain
what kind of a noob you talk to. ;)

I'm developing an ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) based embedded distribution, which
basically is a normal ubuntu stripped down to bare minimal packages,
which runs a minimal XOrg server with one single full-screen
application. What I want is to suppress every single char of console
output since the bootloader passed control to the kernel, and possibly
show instead of that some static text and/or image. What I thought is to
try to disable printk-s and to write some kind of patch which uses the
framebuffer to show the logo. Is that possible/difficult? Can you
eventually explain where I should dig?

Thanks in advice!