Tracing SIGKILL, is that possible?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Feb 18 14:09:17 EST 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:46:58 -0300, "Daniel." said:
> Is there a way to track signals, specially SIGKILL. I would like to
> know if some process dies because reach some resource limit, because
> an OMM error or something likewise..

Depends on where you want the tracking to go.  But your first thing to try
would probably be:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/print-fatal-signals

which controls this code in kernel/signal.c:

static void print_fatal_signal(int signr)
{
        struct pt_regs *regs = signal_pt_regs();
        printk("%s/%d: potentially unexpected fatal signal %d.\n",
                current->comm, task_pid_nr(current), signr);

Bahh.  That's missing a KERN_INFO.  Patch submitted.