Linux Kernel Networking document (free, 178 pages doc)

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 08:49:18 EST 2013

(Why is this a top-posted message thread?  Please stop creating these.)

Only the first link says that the ext2 driver can mount a ext4 filesystem (if the journal is clean).  I'm confident that is wrong.  Ext4 has several on-disk features that are not backward compatible.  There is a binary set of flags which is set at mkfs time as to which of those features were enabled by mkfs.ext4.

A ext3 doc would only describe a ext4 filesystem with all of those flags off.

Thus a ext3 doc describing the on disk structure is not a waste of time, but it becomes a subset of a full ext4 doc describing the on disk structure.

I would recommend that documenting that set of flags be the first documentation effort.

Greg