Tool to test soft and hardlockups.

Vipul Jain vipulsj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 22:17:48 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Vipul Jain <vipulsj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 6:30 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:45:32 -0800, Vipul Jain said:
>>
>> > I would like  to enable softlockup and hardlockup option in Linux kernel
>> > and would like to test it to make sure that when soft and hard lockup
>> > condition arises we do see kernel taking configured action. Hence was
>> > wondering if there is any tool to do the same (basically injecting the
>> > errors).
>>
>> Build your kernel with CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_HARDLOCKUP_PANIC and/or
>> CONFIG_BOOTPARAM_SOFTLOCKUP_PANIC and then stick an infinite loop
>> somewhere in the kernel.  See lib/Kconfig.debug under 'Debug Lockups and
>> Hangs'.
>>

> Hi Valids,
>
> I am able to configure the kernel with soft and hard lockup flags but now
> I would like to generate and hard and soft lockup event and verify it and
> was wondering if we have any tool in place that I can use, if not, any
> guidance of how to go about testing it will be great.
>
> Regards,
> Vipul.

Hi Valids,

I did enable below flags but not sure if the softlockup and hardlockup
detection mechanism is running on kernel so I added printk statements in
kernel/watchdog.c but I don't see any prints in dmesg just wondering if you
can help me to know why I don't see any prints in dmesg
CONFIG_LOCKUP_DETECTOR=y
CONFIG_HARDLOCKUP_DETECTOR=y

Regards,
Vipul.