barebones kernel:where to look

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 15 17:08:53 EDT 2013

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:32:25 -0400, "Littlefield, Tyler" said:
> Hello:
> I started working on a barebones kernel for the server I am running on
> from something someone else had and it seems to be going good.
> I would like to take a good clean kernel and use it for my netbook, but
> I'm not really sure what the essentials are and what can be disabled.
> Basically I want it to be as small as possible with minimal module overhead.
> Has anyone else done something like this for a netbook or perhaps
> something else I could borrow? Is there somewhere where I can dig deeper
> into the specifics of the kernel configuration?

Step 1: Boot a distro kernel. These are usually 'allmodconfig' or close to it.
Step 2: Plug in all your USB and other toys at least long enough for udev
to notice them and modprobe their drivers.
Step 3: 'make localmodconfig'.  This will configure to build only the modules listed in
'lsmod' (thus the need to plug stuff in and get it modprobed).
Step 4: Continue building your kernel.