Kernel Summit 2013: Call for Hobbyists

Theodore Ts'o tytso at thunk.org
Wed Aug 14 22:31:25 EDT 2013

As an experiment this year, the Linux Kernel Summit Program Committee
would like to put out a call for hobbyists. This year, we have up to
three places to give to people who do Linux Kernel development as a
hobby rather than a profession (Our definition of "hobbyist" is anyone
who doesn't get paid to work on Linux).  The Linux Kernel Summit will be
held this year in Edinburgh from 23-25 October and, on the core day (the
24th of October), will primarily be concentrating on processes around
kernel development.  Since most top kernel developers are not hobbyists
these days, this is your opportunity to make up for what we're missing.
As we recognize most hobbyists don't have the resources to attend
conferences, we're offering (as part of the normal kernel summit travel
fund processes) travel reimbursement as part of being selected to
attend.

To apply, please send a proposal outlining what you do, what you'd bring
to the kernel summit and preferably what you think the current kernel
processes should be doing to encourage more hobbyist contributions (or
should not be doing because it discriminates against hobbyist
contributions) to:

ksummit-2013-discuss at lists.linuxfoundation.org

Please add the prefix [HOBBYIST ATTEND] to the subject line so we can
easily find them.

Descriptions of particularly cool hobbyist projects in the kernel which
have been overlooked by the mainstream might also be good topics for
discussion.  Since the Kernel Summit is only two months away, we're
looking to have hobbyist proposals submitted by 24 August.  We know that
this is a tight timetable and we apologize; this idea came up too late
for us to provide better notice.  The current plan is to make the
hobbyist slots a permanent part of the selection criteria, so things
should be less rushed in the coming years.