Understanding disassembly x86 + understanding function call + parameter pass and stack frame

Tayade, Nilesh Nilesh.Tayade at netscout.com
Fri Aug 9 15:19:55 EDT 2013

[...]
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using crash tool to analyze core dump obtained from red hat linux
> > on
> > x86_64 platform.
[...]
> > Putting some of the doubts..
> >
> > a)like which sequence the parameters, return address, etc are pushed
> > on stack?
May be you would like to take a look at below link:
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs216/guides/x86.html [Section: Calling Convention] has the exact answer to your question.

> > b)Which registers are used, if some registers play some spl. role ?
You also might want to read the tutorials:
http://cocoafactory.com/blog/2012/11/23/x86-64-assembly-language-tutorial-part-1
This tutorial is in four parts. Part-2 has information on all the registers and their roles.

> > c)lets say for a program a.c i use gcc -S a.c ...do we have some other
> > command to generate somewhat more clear assembly code, may be with
> > some comments in English
Take a look at information on objdump command. You can compile the debug binary of the code and use objdump with certain options on that binary- this will dump the assembly code along with inline C code.

[...]
> > Any kind of help in understanding this will be appreciated ..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nidhi

Hope it helps.

--