Kernel with KGDB enabled does not wait for remote server

Nicholas Othieno nickothieno at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 3 16:25:56 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

I am trying to get remote debugging over serial working on an ARM platform using KGDB. I compiled the kernel with the following options:

CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_KGDB_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

And had the following parameters passed by uboot to the kernel:

bootargs_mmc=setenv bootargs ${bootargs} ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait kgdboc=ttymxc0,115200 kgdbwait

When I boot the kernel, it acknowledges that it got the correct kernel parameters:

Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 ip=off root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait kgdboc=ttymxc0,115200 kgdbwait

but it never stops to wait for a gdb server. What could the problem be? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nick