File System Learning Approach

Manish Katiyar mkatiyar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 13:58:28 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Pietro Paolini <pulsarpietro at aol.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have to compare different filesystems options for an embedded platform
> and I'd like understand what's the best way in your opinion, I use to read
> wikipedia but do you have any suggestion or articles or references that
> can help me ? I am not really expert about filesystem but I have to start!
>
> Thanks,
> Pietro.

Hi Pietro,

I think having answers to below questions will help you decide on the
filesystem you want to choose.

-> What kind of workload is it going to support
        -> big files / small files / avg file size ?
        -> Flat directory structure / Nested deep hierarchy of directories
       -> Write once read many times / or frequent overwrites / or append
only workloads etc.
       -> Will it have frequent metadata updates as opposed to user writes
(things like chmod, mv etc.)

-> How much memory you will have
-> Type of disks
-> Will you need versioning or snapshot of your files
-> Will you ever need to backup (incremental)
-> Will you need to resize

etc. etc., you get the idea.

--
Thanks -