an online kernel crash book, and wondering what's deprecated

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:41:58 EDT 2012

Hi Rob...

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   along those lines, i'm just digging into ftrace and was wondering if
> it in any way obsoleted systemtap, but i've heard from more than one
> source that while ftrace is allegedly more powerful, systemtap still
> has its place and is worth talking about.

since systemtap is still included in Redhat Enterprise Linux, I could
firmly say SystemTap is still highly relevant these days. So is
kdump/kexec.

>   so ... if one was going to put together a (small) toolbox of kernel
> debugging tools, what's worth covering?  interested in any feedback.

IMHO, the most important part is the art of understanding oops message
and its related stack trace.

Or worst, what if the system just hangs....divide and conquer things
like disabling acpi, sysrq, might be the skills we need here.

Not sure if you agree with me here, but I just deliver my ideas.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant