Problem using and creating virtual interfaces

Pietro Paolini P.Paolini at ext.adbglobal.com
Tue Sep 18 05:23:54 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am not really sure this is the correct newsletter  for  my question, if not please apologize me and suggest me a right newsletter, thanks.

My goal is to simulate more than one IP interface using just a physical interface, for do that I tried using this alias

Ifconfing ethX:1 <IP>

But when I try to send a packet over that interface I see the IP source the same as the original, and real,  Ethernet interface. Then I tried to use TAP interface but I was unable to "link" them with my physical one, I notice them can communicate each others but can not ping (ping -I tap0  <ip real IF>) the original one.
It is still valid if I create a bridge with all them.

I would like avoid to install many Virtual Box as I need but what I want is exactly what it do: build a new virtual interface and bridge it with a real one in order to have more IP interface attached at one physical.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,
Pietro.