getxattr field not initialized when trying to execute /init during boot

stl st.lambert02 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 05:08:51 EDT 2012

Hello all,
I am facing a problem when trying to boot linux 2.6.37 on a new
architecture.

At the end of the boot, it tries to launch /init by executing a sys_execve()

Here is the what it does:

sys_execve()
  |-> do_execve()
         |-> prepare_binprm()
                 |->security_bprm_set_creds()
                        |->cap_bprm_set_creds()
                             |->get_file_caps()
                                   |->get_vfs_caps_from_disk()

In the get_vfs_caps_from_disk(), these is a verification to know if
inode->i_op->getxattr
has been initialized.

In my case, it returns and error value, because this field is not
initialized.

So I am wondering by who and where this field is initialized?
And what is the aim of getxattr?

Thanks in advance!