Why __force sparse annotation needed in copy_from_user() to vmalloc'ed area

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Sep 5 06:24:37 EDT 2012

Hello,

In the course of reviewing a new framebuffer driver [1], I discovered
the following bit of code:

+	dst = (void __force *) (info->screen_base + p);
+
+	if (copy_from_user(dst, buf, count))
+		err = -EFAULT;

Where info->screen_base is a vmalloc'ed memory area. Many other
framebuffer drivers have used this __force sparse annotation: see [2]
or [3] for example.

I am confused as to why sparse requires the __force annotation for what
seems to be a regular user to kernel copy. The __force annotation is
typically not needed for user to kernel copy when the destination
kernel buffer has been kmalloc'ed.

Why does sparse handles vmalloc'ed buffer differently, and gives a
warning in this case?

Thanks,

Thomas

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-fbdev&m=134683775709128&w=2