set_super_anon in fs/super.c

Abhijit Chandrakant Pawar abhi.c.pawar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:03:51 EDT 2012

I am working on the layered file systems. I came across a function
called set_super_anon.
This is a callback to the sget function to compare the superblock . This
function accepts two parameters. first is superblock * and second is
void *.  If you look at the definition of this function, the void* is
never used.
Many filesystem uses this function when they are mounting the
superblock. Some pass NULL and some pass actual data.I have looked till
2.6.31 but there isnt any trace of the usage of second parameter.

If it is never used then why its added to the function param list?  Is
there any historical reason during the older kernel days?

Regards,
Abhijit Pawar