New member queries..

Sarah Sharp sarah.a.sharp at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 22 14:59:17 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 01:16:43PM +0530, shampavman.cg wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm new to linux kernel development (only a few hrs old i may say). I've
> been working with the solaris kernel from the past year and now would
> like to concentrate on linux as well.
> "My area of expertise is Filesystems".
>
> Here are a few things i would like to know from you guys.
> 1.) I've looked at the bugzilla pages, how do i choose a bite sized bug
> to start with? (Is there such a concept at all?)

Not really.  Most Linux kernel developers don't keep track of their
byte-sized bugs in bugzilla.  Most just keep them in their heads and
don't have time to share.

> 2.) I looked at kernelJanitors page as well hoping to find info but
> nothing much there .
>
> Can anyone help me get started?

You might try joining the various filesystem mailing lists and watching
the traffic to see where the current areas of work are:

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html

For example, I see the lists ecryptfs, linux-btrfs, linux-cifs,
linux-fsdevel, linux-nfs, linux-xfs, and linux-ext4.

I would suggest working on either ext4 or btrfs.  B-tree FS (or btrfs)
is one of the newer filesystems, and it needs a lot more work than, say,
nfs.  Ted T'so is the maintainer for ext4, and Chris Mason is the
maintainer for btrfs.  Emailing them to find out what tasks need to be
done would be a good start.

Sarah Sharp