What rationale behind physical and virtual kernel memory layout ?

Arun KS getarunks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:33:32 EDT 2012

Hi Telenn,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM, telenn barz <telenn.barz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This a vast topic. But I believe it's worthwhile exposing in greater
> detail the "Why this design has been chosen ?", before the "How this design
> has been implemented ?". And I think this is a common lack (or at least not
> enough developed) in documentations, even in the more outstanding of them.
>
> Let's try to be more precise :
>
> A] About the direct mapping of the first 896MB of the virtual kernel space
> to the first 896MB of the physical memory
>
> Thus the kernel is able to handle a big virtual memory area mapped to a
> zone of contiguous physical addresses. This is a need for some peripheral
> devices which are unable to deal with paged memory. So all right, I can
> understand that (ref: "Avoiding - and fixing - memory fragmentation<http://lwn.net/Articles/211505/>"
> at lwn.net). But this article also says this is required for large kernel
> data structures...
>
> Q: ...Here I don't get the point : why wouldn't it be possible for the
> kernel to handle its structures through paged memory not necessarily
> physically contiguous ?
>
> In the bible "Understanding the Linux Kernel" third edition, at section
> "8.3 Non-contiguous Memory Area Management" it is written : "[...] it is
> preferable to map areas into sets of contiguous page frames, thus making
> better use of the cache and achieving lower average memory access times".
>
> Q: Is this assertion still valid on modern architecture ? Can please
> someone explain in further detail the theory behind it, or point me to
> relevant documentations ?
>
> Q: Do you see any other reason for this physically-contiguous memory
> requirement ?
>
> B] About the 3G/1G split of process' virtual address space on 32-bit
> architecture
>
> The article "Virtual Memory I: the problem<http://lwn.net/Articles/75174/>"
> at lwn.net says it has to see with the TLB : by sharing the process'
> virtual space, we also share the TLB and thus we avoid a costly TLB flush
> at each user-space to kernel-space switch. The article invokes this reason
> of degradation performance when talking about the 4G/4G split patch (from
> Ingo Molnar).
>
> Q: In the 4G/4G split case, I don't see why we have to necessarily flush
> the TLB when switching from user-space to kernel-space ? Why the TLB
> couldn't be shared across one user-space to kernel-space switch, and be
> flushed only every two switches ?

In 4G/4G split, kernel space(KS) and user space(US) both have 4GB address
space. So there can be a same virtual address present in KS & US which
corresponds to two different physical addressess.
When switching from US to KS or vice versa, the pointer to page table has
to be changed in the MMU. So TLB which is just a cache for the page tables
has to be flushed aswell.

thanks,
Arun