FIFO

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Wed Nov 28 08:05:30 EST 2012

Hi!

On Mit, 2012-11-28 at 09:43 +0000, Pietro Paolini wrote:
[....]
> I would like use a FIFO to implement a pipe which use is quite the
> same of the /proc/fs (for example the net statistics then just read).

/proc/fs is a directory hereover.

> I would like use the cat command in order to reach the information, like:
>
> Cat /path/to/pipe
>
> The problem is that cat expect the EOF of file before exit and stay

That "problem" is the defined behaviour and all programs will behave
that way.

>  blocked until that, someone know how can I solve the problem ?

Wherever your driver sends out the data (when user-space read(2)s it),
you just return 0 (instead of sleeping/blocking the process) if you are
at the end of the output.

Kind regards,
	Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at