Grub installed into USB drive: After boot kernel not initializing

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:14:36 EST 2012

Hi......

Let's see if I can help...

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Jeshwanth Kumar N K Jeshu
<jeshkumar555 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then booted  the USB drive, I have got grub menu. Pressed "c", it took me to
> grub command line. Here I gave "linux  /vmcoreinfo-3.0.0-26-generic-pae" and
> "initrd initrd.img-3.0.0-26-generic-pae". Then typed boot.
>
> Its booted and gave (initramfs) prompt, but didnt boot the kernel.

IIRC, you need to delay the booting, in order for USB sub system to
settle and ready for further reading. Unfortunately, I can't recall
the exact kernel parameter name....try to google that....

> 2. I got below Error when installing grub2, so what I need to do ? I
> partitioned USB with ext4 fs.
>
> grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or to a
> partition.  This is a BAD idea.."

Hm, not sure...do you actually partition the usb flash disk?

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant