request memory from kernel

Vladimir Murzin murzin.v at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 01:58:19 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Bizhan Gholikhamseh (bgholikh)
<bgholikh at cisco.com> wrote:
> HI
>
> I would like to reserve some of the system memory for our kernel modules.
>
> After some googling there seems to be there are different ways of doing this
> but still I am not clear.
>
> My question is if I want to put aside some portion of the our platform
> memory (about 300 Mbytes) for couple of our kernel modules, how could I
> achieve this and how to access the dedicated memory for those modules at the
> run time.
>

> Many thanks in advance,

Hi

Have a look at CMA[ 1], ION [2] and dmabuf [3]. I think something of
it will suite your needs... at least you can use reserve_bootmem [4]

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/486301/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/480055/
[3] http://lwn.net/Articles/474819/
[4] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=reserve_bootmem