Fwd: Memory split in 64-bit environment

Pritam Bankar pritambankar1988 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:10:11 EDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Pritam Bankar
> <pritambankar1988 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But I have some questions,
>>
>> 1. How is memory split up on 64-bit architecture
>
> in this URL:
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/32244/user-kernel-split-in-64bit-linux
>
> it says user space get 128 TiB...the rest you can read  there :)
>
>> 2. Can we override this 3:1 split ?
>
> sure.... just change PAGE_OFFSET if I remember correctly...however,
> the effects might be harmful, for example for certain virtualization
> since they assume certain address for memory allocation
>
>> 3. If yes, who can do that user or kernel?
>
> kernel..for sure..
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant
>
> blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
> training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

Thanks Mulyadi. I gone through link but there is no explanation. What
can be the logic behind kernel space of only 512 MB for 64-bit
machines. We have 1GB kernel space in 32-bit architecture so 64-bit
should ideally have much more than that.

Thanks
Pritam Bankar