make error

Kumar amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:40:39 EDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 03:13:04PM +0200, Gregg Douglas wrote:
> Thanks Anmol, first installed the following extra packages
> "linux-kernel-headers kernel-syms module-init-tools" then ran make
> oldconfig && make prepare, I get further:
>  make M=drivers/staging/bcm/
>
>   WARNING: Symbol version dump /home/douglagm/git/linux-2.6/Module.symvers
>            is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
>
>   LD [M]  drivers/staging/bcm//bcm_wimax.o
> /bin/sh: scripts/mod/modpost: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [drivers/staging/bcm//bcm_wimax.o] Error 1
> make: *** [_module_drivers/staging/bcm/] Error 2
>
> I did a git clone git://
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> then git branch douglagm - I am working on this.

You should be cloing linux-next[1].

You are seing the above warning message because you have booted from
kernel-Version-X and you are building modules for kernel-Version-Y. To get rid
of this, after cloning the linux-next tree, build the kernel and boot from it.
Building and booting from your fresh kernel is sort of straight forward process
if you are not much concerned about the final kernel image size, etc. Following
steps on my ubuntu box works fine, might work for you as well.
To build the kernel, in just few steps:

1: # sudo apt-get install build-essential
2: # make oldconfig
3: # make all
4: # make modules_install install
5: # update-grub
6: # shutdown -r -y now

If you have system has multiple CPUs(see: cat /proc/cpuinfo), you can reduce the
build time by replacing the command in step 3 above as
3: # make -jX all
Where X = Number of CPUs

You also need to change your email-client to something else as gmail e-mail
client will not work for sending patches, refer email-clients[2] under
Documentation. I use mutt and this works quite well with gmail smtp server. You
can search for a mutt configuration file over world wide web to work with gmail.

You can also use git send-email command to send patches, but before that you
need to instal git-email add-on. On ubuntu box:
# sudo apt-get install git-email

Then setup smtp configuration
# git config --global sendemail.smtpserver smtp.gmail.com
# git config --global sendemail.smtpserverport 587
# git config --global sendemail.smtpencryption tls
# git config --global sendemail.smtpuser <YOUR_GMAIL_ID at gmail.com>

-Amit

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
[2] http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.6.5/Documentation/email-clients.txt