make error

Gregg Douglas douglagm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 08:18:17 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have always wanted to contribute, but I am not a coder, I am a Linux
Admin, so I know some bash, perl and php. I came across the following video
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4&feature=related

So I decided even if I clean code it would hopefully make some
contribution. I followed the video and came to the following file that
needed some correction: drivers/staging/bcm/InterfaceDld.c. "checkpatch.pl"
gave 2 errors, both ERROR: "(foo*)" should be "(foo *)", so I fixed the
errors.

I did a "git diff" and it showed the corrections, from the video the next
step is to build the file, I believe the command must be "make
M=drivers/staging/bcm/", but I get the following errors:

  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are
missing.
         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.

  WARNING: Symbol version dump /home/douglagm/git/linux-2.6/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

  LD      drivers/staging/bcm//built-in.o
  Building modules, stage 2.
/home/douglagm/git/linux-2.6/scripts/Makefile.modpost:42:
include/config/auto.conf: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `include/config/auto.conf'.  Stop.
make: *** [modules] Error 2

The error says " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix
it", but I am a bit nervous to try this, I would please like some guidance
before continuing.

I think the issue is related to my OS's kernel headers, from the kernel
README I am not sure what I need to do ?

I did a bit of searching the net and did not really find some answers, well
that made sense to me. kernelnewbies.org, not sure what is going on there,
get a lot of "*This page does not exist yet. You can create a new empty
page, or use one of the page templates. Before creating the page, please
check if a similar page already exists."*

Regards
Gregg